Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Junk food confessions

Junk Food Confessions...


Elvis' Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich

For this bit of culinary capriciousness, you will need:

2 - Ripe Bananas,
1/4 Cup - Creamy Peanut Butter
10 Slices - fluffy white sandwich bread
Lightly Salted Butter
a Large fry pan.




Here's what to do:
(Makes five sandwiches)
-Blend 1/4 cup peanut butter with two ripe bananas until the mixture is creamy smooth.
-Spread mixture on five slices of buttered sandwich bread.
-Top with remaining five slices of bread.
-Place sandwiches in hot frying pan, in which several pats of butter have been melted. (Don't let the butter burn!)
-Grill in butter until bread is lightly toasted.
-Grill other side of sandwich.
-Drain on paper towels.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Note from author of site where the recipe is taken from)
I don't recommend eating these things on a regular basis, unless you intend to die young, and leave a beautiful corpse. However, from the historical perspective, you have to try them at least once; they have a very unique flavor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You read the above recipe? Was that a kinda' indulgence? I mean, BLEND the bananas with peanut butter??? I've heard of banana-chocolate spread but this... Erk!

If you think THAT's bad... Wait till' you read what I've extracted from a certain website. Confession of people who have secret (and yucky!) indulgences. That mish-mash of junk that put heaven in their own, little earth...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was aptly named: Gross 'n Yucky: Hall Of Shame Special

Next Time Try Culinary School -
When our son was in college, he and his roommates ate anything available (to save their money for partying). The most gross to me was the one where they opened whatever canned foods they had and mixed it all together. His favorite was a can of tuna, a can of corn, peanut butter, jelly, relish and leftover fried rice from days before when he had Chinese take-out. It was all mixed together and sometimes placed on top of a slice of leftover pizza or a doughnut. Gross! Thank goodness he survived.
LeAnn

I'll Stick With The Steak -
Years ago I invented a sandwich that contained my favorite foods and provided all the satisfaction of a protein-heavy, filling steak dinner. I would melt a generous portion of butter in a frying pan. Then, using 2 slices of raisin or cinnamon bread, I'd spread on chunky peanut butter, some salted cashews, slices, jack and cheddar cheese, and a good heap of real mayonnaise. I would slowly cook this until every ingredient slightly melted together and the bread was brown. This was so heavy, greasy and better than a steak.
Sandra H.

Pour, Pour Pitiful Me! -
My boyfriend's favorite food is ketchup. He eats it with everything, and I mean anything that goes in his mouth at any time of day. This is gross: over the stove he cooks 2 cans of full-fat hearty chili with 2 handfuls of grated cheddar cheese and 2 handfuls of tortilla chips that he crunches into the mix. He then puts this mixture over 4 toasted cinnamon raisin bagels and tops every one of the eight pieces with ketchup. This whole process makes me want to run screaming from his house.
Sarah P.

My Cheesy Boyfriend -
My boyfriend LOVES cheese and I mean on EVERYTHING! He tops off his cereal and milk with pieces of American cheese. He adds American cheese to his pizza. But the worst is his favorite movie snack: Kit Kats dipped in hot nacho cheese sauce!
Adriana

Special Delivery -
When I was pregnant with my third child, my favorite sandwich was 2 quarter-pounder burgers barely cooked, each topped with 2 slices of cheddar cheese. I'd put mayonnaise on one side of the bun, chunky peanut butter on the other side. It also contained raw red onions and as many sweet pickle slices as I could get to stay in the sandwich. Thank goodness I'm not pregnant anymore!
Vanessa J.

Not-So-Fond Memories -
When I was younger, as an after-school snack I would make the "SODWE" as my family called it: Something Only Dani Would Eat. This sandwich consisted of two slices of wheat bread. On one slice I placed mayo, mustard, ketchup, paprika, salt and pepper. On the other were layers of kosher pickles and American cheese. Just thinking about it makes me sick now.
Danielle M.

We're Bacon For Mercy Here! -
I used to LOVE bacon and grape jelly sandwiches on white bread. I ate them all the time, until one day while eating one, I was like,"YUCK!" I never ate them again.
Kim

The Biggest Loser -
I was listening to a local talk show this morning out of Sacramento. The subject was about people who don't watch what they eat and don't exercise and don't care. A woman called in and said she knew someone who ate 12 Big Macs. They didn't believe her so she put him on the phone. Yep, he ate 12 Big Macs, fries and Cokes in a contest... and LOST to another man who ate 14! He went on to say that he weighs 470 pounds and eats at least a half gallon of ice cream every day. I heard this 5 hours ago and still can't get this off my mind.
Claire W.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DID YOU READ ALL THAT??! Gross, rite??! But before you go, "Eeee Yeuuwww...!" why don't you just stop and think: Am I guilty of having similar indulgences?

We Asian like things spicy. Do you remember the time when you heaped spoonfuls after spoonfuls of chilli on top of all that spice in that dish? Or go bonkers when the place you go to does not provide chilli sauce? Or soy sauce. U gotta have kicap with everything. I have a cousin who even pour soy sauce ON TOP of the Soy Sauce Chicken (ayam masak kicap) dish that she's eating.

I used to go crazy over cheese. Esp. those hot, melted ones that drip. Yessss....! Grilled spicy cheese tuna sandwich is my 'pet recipe' which eventually became my brother's indulgence, too.
And dips. Whatever dips. Just as long as it's something I can dunk into.
Also the omelette that has almost EVERYTHING in it, even cucumbers. Yes, no joke!
And veggies. I get restless should I not eat some for a very long time. I remember eating bread with this salad that consists of celery, spring onions, carrots and parsley- Cos' I'm craving for some greens and they're the only ones left in the fridge.

What about YOU? Any secret indulgences...??

No comments: