Friday, January 22, 2010

home foods

Guess I got nothing better to do... Naturally I took these pics when the mum-in-law (MIL) was out of sight, or she'll be out to tease me again.

Anyway I noticed that they've been having the pot on the stove a little longer than usual so I took a peek and saw that oxtail soup is in the works. Yumz!


Oxtail Soup

Why settle for the smaller end of the tail when you can get the big, fat ones?

Ahh.. it's meals like these that make me NOT miss those served at restaurants. Especially when they've slackened on the quality and portions (yes, I'm referring to a certain eating place here)..

This go well with sweet soy-sauce infused with onions, chili padi and a squeeze of lime (sambal kicap)...


Sambal Balado

The pride of the Minang folks, this is often available at home. My MIL may be Javanese but since my dad is Minang, she have to learn to prepare this, as taught by her own MIL.

MIL did mention that I should learn to prepare this too but I guess I don't see that happening anytime soon...

Onions/shallots, garlic, red chillies (even chili padi) and tomato - coarsely grounded and fried... You can opt to make the green chilli version too.

This sauce can be used to easily whip up any dish, when its fried with thinly sliced meat (dengdeng), prawns, chicken, fish and veggies (long beans and brinjal).

Hmm... I think I REALLY should learn to prepare this.. So useful!

No comments: