Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Tuckshop Express

I want to start by saying that social network (or the Internet, in general) has been pretty awesome for Muslim foodies in SG.

For the longest time, we've been calling for Subway to go Halal and someone finally took the initiative and create a Halal sandwich joint, Subway-style. It start with Which? Sandwich, followed by Toasties and now, Watsub.

And then there's this:

IMG_2688-1
Menu board

Even though I went to Paya Lebar Square like once a week for lunch, I never did discover this shop. Even when I know it exist. Turns out it's tucked away outside. Ish.

This place sells sandwiches, custom salads, chicken franks, malay kuehs and even teh tarik. Too bad it's more of a takeaway food shop.

IMG_2685
Sandwich being prepared

Taken from my instagram. Do you see the veggies already piled high?? I watched his assembly of my sandwich with glee.

The person manning the shop at that time sounds and looks like a Malaysian. Friendly chap.

I chose the Turkey sandwich and he asked for my choice of bread. It was already evening and only 2 varieties are left. The French loaf and the sesame loaf. I chose the latter.

He then asked if I want any add-on. I asked if there's cheese in my sandwich. Upon hearing, "No," I asked to add cheese. He asked which cheese I would prefer. There's cheddar and feta.

Cheddar cost $1 (2 slices, mind you) and feta will be additional $1.50. Excited to hear an exotic option, I chose the latter. The menu board also showed blue cheese at $2.50 but I doubt it's available then.

He proceed to take out a tub of feta cheese and literally slathered on a thick layer. Whoa! 

He then ask, "Veggies?" I replied, "ALL."

"Sauce…?"

I asked if there's anything spicy. So mayo and chilli sauce it is. Nothing fancy.

And then, as if on a second thought, he told me that he'll include the black pepper sauce too, since I want it spicy.

More sauces? Bring it on, I say!
----------------------------------------------

The outcome:

IMG_2685
Turkey sandwich

Ratio of meat to veggie is like 1:5 but I like it that way. Refreshing and… erm, less guilt?

3 large slices of Turkey bologna is enough for me, thanyouverymuch. And the black pepper sauce works! I love it. That plus chili sauce plus mayo? Like Ramly burger already. Sans egg. And more veggies.

Bread's soft and despite the 1hr journey to home, still not soggy (despite the amount of saucesss).

Ohhh, and that feta cheese. Lovely, creamy but a wee bit salty. Maybe because he was a tad generous with it.

All in all, I enjoy this enough to warrant another visit.

Tuckshop Express
60 Paya Lebar Road
Paya Lebar Square
#01-48 (Near McD)
Singapore 409051

No comments: