Monday, April 09, 2012

My advanced 3rd anniversary dinner


My gosh, it took me so long to blog about this that I almost forgot what went on that night.

Well yeah, wedding anniversary fell on a weekday and hubby's last off day for that week was on the eve so I told him to meet me somewhere for dinner.

I don't mean to be a bad mummy or anything but right then, I was hoping to have a dinner with JUST him. Not exactly a romantic candlelight dinner or anything (so cliché!!) but I was thinking about how nice it'll be, making small talk over our meal; without having to mind (or even go after) a toddler with super-short attention span. Yes, the one who's currently going through the 'terrible-twos' phase.

But I guess that was not to be so I chose the nearest available kid-friendly diner - Swensen's @ Tampines Mall. And lady luck was on our side that night- we got the last table available, located at the far end; with full-length glass panels looking out to the MRT station next door.

My son (and I) can never be happier. The trains can easily distract him and hold his attention while we dine in peace (or so I thought). Goodness knows how much the boy love them MRT trains!

Kid's meal

Distracted or not, I got him a kid's set meal just so that he'll stay away from our food. Chose his favourite source of protein- in the form of fried chicken sticks that came with cute smiley-faced potato nibblets and a small cup of corn kernels (which I gladly finished up). There's also a small glass of ice Milo.

The basket of food came served on top of this colourful plastic plate and cutleries with designs incorporating their mascot, 'Snowie'… Cute!

As kid-friendly as they can get. I like!

Meatballs in Pepper Sauce

I got my hubby to choose the appetisers meant to fill us up while waiting for the mains to arrive. He chose these meatballs. No surprise, there.

Very savoury option and should the portion be a weeny bit bigger, this can be a meal on its own.

We also go the fries, which came in their trademark cone and 2 dips- salsa and tartar sauce.

Crayfish Pasta

My order, which arrived first. And since I was feeling ravenous (I just knocked-off work afterall!), I attacked it head on.

Spaghetti in tangy tomato sauce, with deep-fried battered crayfish, crabstick (surimi), fish fillets and mushrooms. I'm one of those who picked the crayfish with my hands and attempt to bite off bits of the fried batter from every crevice of the its shell. And if I'm lucky enough, I get bits of crayfish meat as well. :)))

Chicken Victoria

Hubby initially chose to have the rib-eye steak. But he chose this in the last minute. I was pretty surprised actually. Was he being health-conscious or something?

First he chose the beef-steak over his favourite lamb options (Lamb Shashlik/Lamb Chops). And then this?

Grilled chicken breast with homemade Victoria sauce (whatever that is), served with daily vegetables (boiled corn cob, long beans & carrots) & US Potato (a stack of baked potato medallions, topped with cheese).

Honestly, the dish looked bland and a wee bit 'healthy'. Even for me. I wonder how my hubby will even like this. True enough, he only ate the chicken meat and the other items on the plate remained untouched. I took the corn (that and my son's kernels… corn overload!), nibbled on the veggies (bland!) and took the top layer of potato medallion (with the cheese).

Well yes, I ended up feeling really stuffed. Did I mention that I tried to help my son finish up his meal, too? I'm surprised I didn't do the 'merlion' right then. Can't help it. I just can't see food going to waste…!

But wait… how can we dine at Swensen's and not have ice-cream??! (*o*)

Chocolate Crunch Sundae

Hubby can't make up his mind and leave it to me to choose for him. He likes chocolate and since I assumed to Sticky Chewy Chocolate sundae to be too much for him, I went a step lower and got the Chocolate Crunch Sundae instead.

He left behind a substantial amount at the bottom of his sundae cup. And when I took a scoop of that brown puddle, it turned out to be a concentration of thick, gooey chocolate fudge and chocolate ice-cream. Erk!

Coit Tower Sundae

Myself meanwhile, decide to share my sundae with the kiddo and finally decided on my all-time favourite- the Coit Tower, that has almost all my favourite ingredients in an ice-cream sundae. Chocolate & vanilla ice-cream, with choc. fudge and strawberry sauce, topped with crushed almonds and fresh banana slices.

I gladly gave the whipped cream to my son (he doesn't have to watch his weight!).

Ahh... as it turn out, those MRT trains can only (fully) distract my son for all of 10 mins and I end-up spending part of my meal-time tending to his antics & whims (like going under/over the table to the other side etc.)...

When we're done, I can't help noticing that I ended up waddling instead.

THAT. FULL. *burp*

*Happy 3rd Anniversary, Dear.*

No comments: