Sunday, April 27, 2014

Ayam Penyet Ria - Fried-food galore!

It was a rainy afternoon and we were seeking comfort food. Something familiar, homely yet.. different?

Settled on heading to Bedok Mall. Over there, it's either Ottoman Kebab & Grill or Ayam Penyet Ria. Seeing that a couple of peeps in our group aren't too keen on Mediterranean stuff, we settled on the latter.

Seeing a queue forming, I grabbed the menu and get orders from my family while in the line. Pretty frustrating when one heads to the toilet, one chased after my son and another can't hear me above the din.

IMG_3032
Fried food galore ~ 

(clockwise from top left) Basket of emping melinjo & kerupuk udang mix, Bawal (pomfret) penyet, rice, boneless ayam (chicken) penyet, sup buntut (oxtail soup), oyster sauce kailan & fried enoki mushroom.

IMG_3031
More fried food!

(clockwise from top left) deep-fried chicken skin (how sinful can that be??!), lele (catfish) penyet, Pempek Palembang & Soto ayam

That chicken skin thingy was my brother's choice. He was like, "It's very nice, ok??" At that time, the only fried skin I adore is salmon skin. But, I took a bite and end up sharing that basketful of delightful crisps with him. Nevermind my hubby's glare.

That Pempek Palembang was my order. My 1st experience with 'pempek' was a batch given by my masseuse, who hail from Palembang- a city in Southern Sumatra. It is that region's speciality. It's actually savoury fried fishcakes made with fish and tapioca starch. And eaten with this vinegary, sweet soy sauce.

Later on, I had another go at a cafe in Batam. Another time, hubby's niece brought back a box after a school trip to Palembang. I really should have given her more cash so she can bring back 3 boxes instead.

And now that I know it's served here… well, guess it'll be a permanent order whenever I'm here, then. Even though the portion seems a tad small.

And that hearty bowl of Soto ayam is what I'll order whenever my son is around. Can't go wrong with chicken soup and rice for kids. I like that this have that strong garlicky accent. I wonder if they topped this off with 'koya'. Some savoury powder made from crushed prawn crackers & garlic. It's commonly served with Soto Lamongan back in Jakarta.
----------------------------------------------

I still can't gripe enough about the slow service, there. Seeing how efficient they were at the former branch in Bedok Point, it irked me to have to bear with at least 1/2hr before the first batch of food made an appearance on our table.

Maybe they have a change of proprietors? Whatever it is, I'm glad that the 'sambal' (chilli paste) here remained the same. And consistently spicy! Shiok!

No comments: