Thursday, January 30, 2014

Which? Sandwich

When bosses are away… (you complete it). So my colleagues and I planned to have some sort of a 'leisure-lunch'.

We eventually settle for the Arab Street zone, a place where chic & trendy hipster cafes seemed to have sprouted; like mushrooms after the rain.

Initial plan was to check out the oft-talked about I Am Cafe. Then again, we're well-aware that it's Chinese New Year Eve and most folks got their 1/2 day… Unlike us (boo-hoo). So we expect some crowd and got a back-up plan ready, for we need to get back to the office after that.

True enough. The tiny premise was packed-out and there's even a queue outside! That's it. Time to activate our back-up plan. Head over to Baghdad Street and look for Which? Sandwich.

People kept bugging for Subway to be Halal (which doesn't seem possible, by far) so I guess this is one of the next best options. A halal-version?

Check out the menu below.


Sandwich menu

IMG_1853
Stack sandwiches and hot dogs

IMG_1854
Pizza/kebab & beverages/desserts

Which? Sandwich seems to operate within a tiny coffee shop premise. Diners will share eating space with others patronising the Indian food stall (murtabak etc) and Champs Wrap & Roll, which sell kebabs, burgers and even fried rice, noodles and other 'zhi char' items.

Having our meal on a hot afternoon seems like quite an uncomfortable affair. We even end up sharing table space with a family of tourist. It's THAT cramped.

When we place our order, we asked if they serve sides like nacho chips or fries but they've ran out of it. I had a feeling that we won't be quite full after our sandwiches…

I was surprised that our food took sometime to arrive. Having seen how Subway sandwiches are prepared, I expected these sandwiches to come out in a jiffy. Guess not.

IMG_1855
6" BBQ Chicken Ranch

My colleague remarked that the marinated chicken could have been more flavourful. I think this is the same meat for the chicken kebab?

IMG_1858
6" Cheesy Meatball

I had expected the meatballs to be some hand-rolled minced-meat balls ala those in spaghetti meatballs.

Oh wait… I think I've been drooling over the Subway's version a tad too much, I guess.

Anyway, these chicken meatballs with the cheddar cheese filling is reminiscent of the ones you can get from the frozen food section at Sheng Siong. I think, even I Am Cafe served something similar as their appetiser.

IMG_1856

IMG_1857
6" Cheese & Steak

Posted the above pic on my IG and one of my friends commented, "Looks like a veggie sandwich with a side of steak."

Hurhur. It does appear that way, huh?

Truthfully, I don't mind. I love my greens and all but I sure wouldn't mind a bit more of those steak slices, there. The taste come out nicely balanced, though. And the meat was tender. No regrets.

I do hope that they come out with a variety for the breads too.

All in all, if you crave sandwiches ala Subway and don't bother to drive up to JB for their nearest halal subs, just head down here! Just don't keep your expectations wayyy up high and I think you can get your craving satiated.

No comments: